The smaller ATH-M40X by Audio-Technica is made by the same recipe as the big brother M50x. They are almost as big and heavy, though not quite as lavish. Both are aimed at studio musicians and DJs, but also for ordinary people who want the same sound that is sought after in a studio.
Namely, an open, honest and well-balanced sound that does not color the music. For this sort of use, there are many alternatives to the Audio-Technica M-series, but there's a reason why they have become so popular. The headphones with their closed cups are solid and just like all M models with the letter X, the M40x has a detachable cable. No remote or microphone, unfortunately.
M40x vs M50x Sound Quality
The sound does not differ so violently from the larger and more expensive M50x. The sound character is warm, the tones are rich but not well balanced. Or open. Details are masked somewhat in MX40x compared to M50x, and the sound is not as airy and focused. The bass is at least as potent, but as a pure listening instrument they are a 'light' version of the top model.
This does in no way make them bad at all, you will absolutely get quality sound for your money if you buy the M40x. They just confirm that there´s even more quality sound to obtain if you are willing to pay more.
GET IT ON eBay!
- Current Price: $5.68
- Ends: Dec 15, 2017 7:32:48 CET
- Current Price: $20.00
- Ends: Dec 19, 2017 5:43:44 CET
- Current Price: $9.49
- Ends: Dec 25, 2017 21:01:03 CET
- Cutting-edge engineering and robust construction
- 40 mm drivers with rare earth magnets and copper-clad aluminum wire voice coils
- Tuned flat for incredibly accurate sound monitoring across the entire frequency range
- Circumaural design contours around the ears for excellent sound isolation in loud environments
- 90° swiveling earcups for easy, one-ear monitoring
- Professional-grade earpad and headband material delivers more durability and comfort
- Collapsible for space-saving portability
- Detachable cable (includes 1.2 m - 3.0 m coiled cable and 3.0 m straight cable)
- For professional studio tracking and mixing, as well as DJ monitoring
|Driver Diameter||40 mm|
|Voice Coil||CCAW (Copper-clad aluminum wire)|
|Frequency Response||15 - 24,000 Hz|
|Maximum Input Power||1,600 mW at 1 kHz|
|Weight||240 g (8.5 oz), without cable and connector|
|Cable||Includes two interchangeable cables: detachable 1.2 m - 3.0 m (3.9' - 9.8') coiled cable and detachable 3.0 m (9.8') straight cable|
|Accessories Included||Protective carrying pouch, 6.3 mm (1/4") screw-on adapter|