The sturdy studio headphones from Audio-Technica has loyal followers all over the world and has survived all manner of fads and increasingly fierce competition. One of the reasons is that they are so solidly built to withstand almost anything, which headphones used by professionals must do, and another is that they sound so well balanced and open that they work perfectly with most types of music. Not only in the studio but also on your stereo at home. And on the phone, if it has enough power to run the ATH-M50x, as the headphones are called nowadays.
This X Factor isn´t really much more than a new design. The ear cups are still black, and looks more as a tool than a design product, but has finally been given a detachable cable. It also includes three cables: one coiled cord and a long and a short cord for portable use. But the short one lacks remote control and microphone for hands-free use, and I haven´t been able to find such cable accessories for the M50x either.
Audio-Technica has not changed the composition in general, so it is natural to suspect that the new headphones sound just the same as the M50 did before they added the X. We're still talking closed and pivoting over-the-ear cups, ample padding and a design that doesn´t make you look twice.
But something must have happened to improve on the ATH-M50, am I right? The new model does sound fresher, plus the balance of the sound is better. The bass is still tight and full-bodied, but a bit more precise in the M50x. Not much, but enough for you to notice it, especially on bass guitar and bass drums. In the midrange, detail is a tiny bit better focused and defined, while the treble is clearer without the minor tendency to sharp s-sounds that its predecessor had.
The differences are so small that they probably won´t be noticable for most poeple, but with the upgrade, Audio-Technica have managed to freshen up the sound in the X version of the ATH-M50, making it a headphone to be reckoned with in this class.
The good thing is that it now works better with more types of music. Like classical music for example, where the only thing I miss is a little wider and deeper soundstage, but we might get that in the next upgrade. I highly recommend the Audio-Technica ATH-M50X for those who want high quality headphones without going bankrupt.
GET IT ON eBay!
- Current Price: $15.00
- Ends: Jan 21, 2018 12:02:55 CET
- Current Price: $149.00
- Ends: Jan 20, 2018 22:08:33 CET
- Current Price: $39.60
- Ends: Jan 18, 2018 10:31:19 CET
- Critically acclaimed sonic performance praised by top audio engineers and pro audio reviewers
- Proprietary 45 mm large-aperture drivers with rare earth magnets and copper-clad aluminum wire voice coils
- Exceptional clarity throughout an extended frequency range, with deep, accurate bass response
- Circumaural design contours around the ears for excellent sound isolation in loud environments
- 90° swiveling earcups for easy, one-ear monitoring
- Professional-grade earpad and headband material delivers more durability and comfort
- Detachable cable (3 cables included)
- Type: Closed-back dynamic
- Driver Diameter: 45 mm
- Magnet: Neodymium
- Voice Coil: CCAW (Copper-clad aluminum wire)
- Frequency Response: 15 - 28,000 Hz
- Max Input Power: 1,600 mW @ 1KHz
- Sensitivity: 99 dB
- Impedance: 38 ohms
- Folding/collapsible: Yes
- Weight: 10 oz (284 g) without cable/connector
- Cable - Detachable: Yes
- Cable Includes: 1.2m-3m coiled, 3m straight, 1.2m straight cables
- Connector: Gold-plated stereo 1/8” (3.5 mm) connector with strain relief
- Accessories included: Screw-on 1/4” adapter, pouch