There is no shortage of small, portable Bluetooth speakers. And the number grows every month. The current trend towards increasingly smaller speakers, ideally also should be robust enough to survive a trip to the beach and a quick shower afterwards. Logitech has built a little brother to the UE Boom, and we are very impressed.
Just like big brother UE Boom and rivals from Jabra, the Mini Boom is protected by a rubber surface that is splash and dust safe. It is available in a variety of colors, including black, white and orange. The front and back are covered by a metal grid with laser drilled holes. Because of the size the passive woofer is not placed in the back, but within a narrow slit at the back.
The number of buttons are minimal, but sufficient. Two buttons for sound level and a third for the Bluetooth search. On the back is an on/off button, an analog mini-jack input and a micro USB port for charging.
Mini Boom has a sound that stands in stark contrast to its small size. It is surprisingly loud, and especially voices are reproduced naturally and openly. Actual bass does not really exist, but it goes low enough to get a sense of weight, and is well controlled. It is not by any means ‘Hi-Fi, but it´s definitely enjoyable. Best result is achieved when there is limited space, such as at the front window of a car. The Ultimate Ears Mini Boom placed at a two feet distance sounds pretty good, and the music is distilled into what´s most significant: the enjoyment of listening.
As with the larger UE Boom you can connect two speakers simultaneously and let them play in stereo using the accompanying app for iOS and Android. For fun, we tried to play with a Boom and a Mini Boom, and it was possible to get them to play together, but only in mono.
What do you want?
In direct comparison with the Jabra SoleMate Mini, the UE Mini Boom is a little less open in the treble and the bass is a bit more laid back, but the midrange is on the other hand cleaner. So the choice between the two close rivals stands or falls on whether you prefer the clean vocals and a little more air guitar factor. In the end the Mini Boom comes out on top thanks to a somewhat higher maximum volume, together with a cleaner sound.
We are constantly surprised by how great sound quality you can squeeze into a small bluetooth speaker. Logitech's Ultimate Ears Mini Boom makes a valiant attempt to up the performance in a small size at a low price. It comes a long way. Due to its modest size, is so easy and convenient to put in your jacket pocket and take it anywhere.
GET IT ON eBay!
- Current Price: $29.99
- Ends: Jan 27, 2018 4:05:02 CET
- Current Price: $32.00
- Ends: Feb 9, 2018 1:56:02 CET
- Current Price: $32.95
- Ends: Jan 22, 2018 14:46:03 CET
- Huge Sound: UE MINI BOOM is the small speaker that delivers unexpectedly bold, jaw-dropping sound with crystal clear highs and deep bass
- Add a Second Speaker: Wirelessly connect two UE MINI BOOMs together in stereo via the UE MINI BOOM app to double up the awesomeness with even huger sound
- Party Longer: The rechargeable lithium-ion battery pumps out up to 10 hours of party-driving beats
- Better Wireless: Stream music from any Bluetooth enabled device from up to 50 ft.; 50% farther than most other Bluetooth speakers
- Music Everywhere: It is the perfect companion for your on-the-go lifestyle-ultra-compact design, simple controls and a crystal-clear speakerphone